How To Get a Green Card for Driving Abroad.

main image blog

Driving abroad takes careful planning. Find out here if you need a green card to drive overseas and how to get one before your trip.

Main Points:

  • A green card is proof of your vehicle’s insurance coverage.
  • You may need a green card to drive abroad, depending on the country.
  • Most EU countries allow UK drivers to travel without it.
  • You can get a green card via your insurer or contact us.

How do you get a green card for driving abroad?

You can contact us directly to get a green card or your insurer well before your trip. A green card can then be issued covering the specific period you intend to be in the foreign country.

To request a green card from us, please contact our team as early as possible before your travel date by calling 01782 880 140. Remember that the process for obtaining a green card may vary depending on your insurance provider and location.

What is a green card for driving abroad?

A green card is an internationally recognised document that serves as proof of valid insurance when you’re driving in foreign countries.

It is evidence that your coverage complies with the minimum local regulations, making it easier to handle any potential situations while driving abroad.

For UK drivers travelling in certain countries that are outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA), it’s a requirement to have a green card with you.

Why do I need a green card to drive abroad outside of Europe?

Your green card is evidence that you have the correct cover for your vehicle. Insurance regulations and systems vary internationally, so your green card makes it easier for foreign authorities to understand and verify your insurance coverage.

Do I need a green card to drive in Europe after Brexit?

The UK and the EU reached an agreement that allowed British drivers to travel within the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA) without needing a green card for proof of insurance.

While EU and EEA member states generally recognise each other’s insurance policies, some European countries are not part of these agreements.

Do I need a green card for my caravan?

If you’re towing your caravan on your trip abroad within a country that requires British motorists to carry a green card, you will need separate cards for your car and proof of your caravan insurance.

Which countries require an insurance green card for UK drivers?

The following countries require a green card for evidence of your insurance coverage: 

  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Iran
  • Israel
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Russia
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine

This means you just need valid vehicle insurance with international cover when you drive in the following areas:

  • The EU
  • Ireland
  • Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland. 

Do insurance companies charge for a green card?

Whilst no charge is applicable for issuing a green card, insurers may charge an administration fee to cover their internal costs.

If cover is increased at the same time the green card is issued, the insurer is entitled to make a charge for the extension of cover.

Do I need to tell my car insurance I’m driving abroad?

If you plan to drive your car abroad, it’s essential to inform your insurer before your trip. Driving without proper insurance coverage in a foreign country can lead to legal issues and fines.

When you notify your insurance company about your plans to drive abroad, they can confirm that your policy provides the coverage required in the foreign country. Different countries have different insurance requirements, and your existing policy may need adjustments or additional coverage to meet those requirements.

We can help you find additional insurance coverage for driving abroad if you don’t have international coverage. Contact us on 0800 912 0128 to let us know you’d like to take a trip, and our friendly team will find you the coverage you need for your destination.

About the Author

Kathy McMullan

Head of Customer Contact

With over 25 years of experience in financial services, Kathy joined One Sure in 2017 as our Head of Customer Services. She has completed a certificate in regulated insurance and both IF1 and IF5 certificates, the equivalent of a CII. Contact centres and change management are Kathy’s expertise. She loves to sink her teeth into a challenge while also positively motivating her team to go the extra mile.