Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Motor Trade Insurance From £46.19 Per Month 
Call Us TODAY And Get A Traders Policy From Just £46.19 Per Month
Motor Trade Insurance
  • We Offer Road Risk Policies!
  • Road Risks + Combined Premises
  • Call Us Today & Save Up To 34%
  • Prices From Just £46.19 Per Month
Call for our best price: 0800 107 1260
Mobile Friendly: 0330 100 9093

Call for our best price: 0800 107 1260 or Mobile Friendly: 0330 100 9093

Motor Trade Insurance

Motor Trade Insurance, also known as Traders Insurance is a necessity for anybody who deals with vehicles as part of business operations. As a motor trader, you need motor trade insurance to legally conduct business on the road.

Whether you're buying and selling vehicles, carrying out repairs and servicing, valeting or offering a roadside breakdown cover service, you will find that we have the right motor traders policy for your needs.

Not to mention, you'll also need a motor trade insurance policy to keep yourself road legal.

If you work in the motor trade industry, it's paramount to ensure that you get the correct motor trade insurance policy, at the right price. It all starts with getting an insurance quote - but we're happy to run you through it. And, best of all, you could save money over your current renewal on your motor traders insurance.

As one of the UK's leading motor trade insurance brokers, we work with a handful of underwriters to ensure that you get the right policy, at the right price. We firmly believe that motor trade insurance doesn't need to be difficult. Instead, the correct motor trade insurance policy has to cover you for the things that are important for your business, and ensure that your customers vehicles are protected.

The Motor Trade Insurance Policies We Offer

Industries We Cover:

  • Valeters
  • Mechanics
  • Garages
  • Motor Dealers
  • Tyre Fitters
  • Mobile Mechanics 
  • Car Servicing
  • MOT Stations
  • Collection & Delivery
  • Car Dealers
  • Car Jockeys
  • Breakdown Recovery
  • Road Risks Insurance
  • Under 25's Insurance

We typically offer two types of Insurance policies- either a road risks policy, or a combined policy. Both are valid forms of motor trade insurance cover, and will be considered enough to be a legal motor trader.

A Road Risk’s motor trade insurance policy will cover you to drive vehicles on the road, as well as giving you protection from theft, fire and accidental damage.

Whether that's transporting vehicles to and from your home, or even taking customers out for a test drive, Road Risks policies are typically bought by motor traders who conduct business from their own home. 

With a Combined Premises trader’s policy, we will insure your business premises, all of the stock you own, and include Road Risks cover.

The Three Types of Motor Trade Insurance

Road Risk Only

Road risk only insurance policies can be separated into 3 different levels of cover.

  • Third Party Only motor trade insurance policies also known as a Third Party Road Risks Policy. The law requires a motor trader to purchase a Third Party Only Motor Trade Insurance policy if the trader a) drives his own or any customers vehicles on the public highway b) provides general services of repairing of vehicles, c) buys and sells cars for profit, (d) operates as a vehicle fitter, valets vehicles or is a mobile tuner, (e) restores and repairs cars, and (f) operates an MOT station or a garage. A Third Party Only Motor Trade Insurance policy is the most basic level of coverage and covers a motor trader for third party injury, third party property damage and third party death caused by any vehicle connected to his trade.
  • Third Party Fire and Theft motor trade insurance policies covers a trader for all of the above in as well as including cover for damages caused to the motor trader due to fire, accidents, or theft of vehicles connected to the trade, over and above the above-mentioned third party coverage.
  • Comprehensive Motor Trade Policies covers the a trader for accidental damages caused to vehicles connected to the motor trade, as well as the above mentioned third party, fire and theft damages.

Liability Motor Trade Insurance

A Liability Motor Trade Insurance policy is specially designed for motor traders who will have the general public within their premises while doing business with them or providing services to them, employ people, restore, repair or service cars, and supply, fit and buy parts.

There are three types of Liability Insurance, Product, Sales and Service Indemnity which includes Defective Workmanship, Public Liability, and finally Employers Liability.

Combined Motor Trade Insurance

A Combined Motor Trade Insurance policy covers for money, vehicles, liabilities, premises, tools and contents. This type of policy is an extensive policy that is designed to protect the entire business of a motor trader. This policy provides cover for motor traders that operate from business locations as well as from home. Every motor trader, regardless of whether they repairs cars, sell cars or clean cars, will needs a motor trader insurance policy. They only need to choose the policy that suits the requirements of their business and therefore allows them to conduct their business at a minimum level of risk. Motor trade Insurance policies are both expensive and cheap, depending on the nature and extent of cover chosen. The motor trader must decide what level of cover best suits their needs, however sometimes it may be worthwhile contact a specialist motor trade insurance broker such as onesure insurance who can provide them with advice as to the level of cover required.

Are You A Genuine Motor Trader?

Before contacting us to get a quote, it's imperative that you determine whether you're suitable for trade insurance, and whether you qualify as a person operating in the motor trade.

Many people attempt to take out a motor trade insurance policy, only to find out that they do not qualify for one. To be eligible, you need to be considered a genuine motor trader who has a financial investment in the motor trade industry.

It does not matter whether you operate on a full-time or part-time basis, as long as you can actively prove that you work in the motor trade industry.

Genuine Motor Trader Insurance

You should be able to prove your connection to the Motor Trade often through receipts.

As a trader, you should keep receipts for all vehicles you buy and sell, as well as any vehicles that you repair, valet or transport. 

Many of our underwriters require proof of trading as a precursor to incepting a Motor Trade policy.

Our clients usually have a period of between 14 and 28 days to provide evidence of trading - and this is typically in the form of receipts of buying and selling vehicles, or receipts that form part of your business - such as valeting clients vehicles, or providing car servicing and repairs.

It's important that you qualify as a motor trader before attempting to take out an insurance policy. Many of our motor trade insurance underwriters will only cover traders who fulfill a set role within their business. Luckily, we compare motor trade insurance quotes and look at the individual aspects of each policy.

Typical examples of valid motor trade occupations include:

  • Vehicle repair businesses
  • Vehicle sales businesses, whether operating from your own premises, or from home, including individual traders operating from home (both full- and part-time traders can be covered)
  • Garages offering services such as MOTs and servicing
  • Breakdown and recovery firms
  • Vehicle delivery firms (this type of cover is often referred to as ‘Trade Plate Insurance’
  • Scrap yards
  • Vehicle collectors and restorers - both general and specialist occupations can be covered
  • Firms working on fitting vehicle parts, servicing and accessories - such as tyres, air conditioning etc
  • Car valeting companies (working from home, on-the-road and premises can be covered)
  • Any business involved in car jockeying. This insurance is often referred to as ‘car jockey insurance’ and usually involves the transportation of vehicles.
  • Any other businesses that have care, custody and control of vehicles

If you are operating in any of the above business environments, it's imperative that you have the correct motor trade insurance policy in place to cover and protect your business and your customers vehicles.

Motor Trade insurance policies can be flexibly tailored to your individual needs and circumstances. You can usually add employees to your policy, add cover for specialist and high value vehicles, and cover vehicles while away from your usual business premises.

What You Need To Know About Traders Insurance

  • Combined Premises Cover - If you operate from business premises, you will need to let us know that you may need combined premises cover. With a Road Risks policy, we will not cover any vehicles which are lost, stolen or damaged while being kept at business premises. Road Risks cover only offers you protection for vehicles that have been stored at your home address.
  • Vehicle Value Payouts - Most insurance underwriters will only pay out the trade value of the vehicle, rather than the resale value. As such, you may find that there is a shortfall of cash you receive for any claims.
  • Additional Occupations - This clause typically affects part-time traders who may have full-time jobs with an employer. We can offer added extras and include other terms to give you cover for a second occupation - but you must inform us that this is the case. Some of our underwriters will not cover commuting to and from an additional place of work, so you must make this clear to us before inception to ensure that you are correctly covered. Failure to disclose materials facts could deem your insurance invalid.
  • Additional Drivers - We can cover additional drivers on your policy, but this will usually increase the overall premium. It is particularly expensive to add under 25's to a traders policy, and many of our underwriters will not allow an under 25 to be on the policy - meaning we can typically only place you with a few, select insurers if you need to insure an under 25 on your motor traders insurance policy.

Whether you're a full-time or part-time trader, or whether you trade from home or business premises, we can access dozens of underwriters such as Liverpool Victoria, Tradewise, Covea, Tradex to find the best motor trading insurance policy for you.

Whether you're in the Valeting business, Car Sales business, Breakdown Recovery business or a part-time car salesman, we can keep you covered with either a third-party, third-party fire & theft or comprehensive trader’s insurance policy.

Plus, you'll get access to all of our added benefits - such as updating the MID record for free and having an unlimited amount of vehicles on your insurance policy.

In most cases, you'll also be able to add your spouse to the policy, as well as any employees and immediate family.

Those are just some of the perks of One Sure Insurance!

Cutting the costs of your Motor Trade Insurance

Without a doubt, the best way to save money on your quote is to shop around to find the cheapest insurance policy for you.

If you take out a policy and don't shop around on your renewal date, you may find that you end up paying over the odds.

Some key points to consider to help you reduce your motor trade insurance:

  • Consult with our sales agents to ensure that you're only paying for cover that you need - and don't have any unnecessary add-ons on your insurance quote.
  • Many motor trade insurance underwriters will charge extra for high-performance, classic and HGV clauses; so don't include these if you won't be dealing with them.
  • Reduce the number of motors that you'll keep on the MID at any one time - as this could lower your premiums quite drastically.
  • Consider the highest possible insurance voluntary excess.
  • Consider improving your storage and security measures - such as garaging your stock.
  • Consider only employing drivers with clean records - those without any criminal or driving convictions, and those who are aged 25 or over.
  • Choose to pay your premium in one lump sum - as interest will be charged when spread over monthly installments.
  • Avoid buying or dealing with modified vehicles as these are higher risk vehicles.
  • Build up Motor Trade no claims bonus, and maintain it by not claiming.

Our Motor Trade Insurance online guides could help you to get started

We have published numerous documents that give you a deeper insight into the Motor Trade industry.

We regularly publish guides and articles on helping you to understand what it's like to be a Motor Trader, as well as how to reduce your motor trade insurance premiums each year. 

  • The MID Explained - We go in-depth to explain how the MID works, and why you should regularly update which vehicles are showing on the MID. 
  • Updating the MID Database - This article describes how you can update the MID record. If you have a trader’s insurance policy with us, you'll be able to use our text service, online service or phone service.

Remember, having motor trade insurance cover in place is a mandatory requirement. It is a legal requirement to have at least a third-party motor trade insurance policy in place before you drive or work on customer's vehicles on the road. The majority of our customers opt for a comprehensive policy - especially those working as car dealers.

About One Sure Insurance 

One Sure Insurance is one of the largest Motor Trade Insurance brokers in the UK. We've been providing motor trade insurance policies for over a decade, and in that time we have insured nearly 30,000 customers. We are proud of the level of service we offer to our clients.

As a specialist motor trade insurance broker, we have access to underwriters that other brokers may not have relationships with. When you call and get a quote from us, we can often secure discounts and give preferential rates to our clients.

As a specialist motor trade broker, we can put together a policy tailored to the individual needs and requirements of your business.

Whether you're after a basic road risks policy or a combined premises policy with employers and public liability, you can rest assured that One Sure Insurance has the expertise and competency to keep you protected.

We're on hand 6-days a week to offer advice and guidance, and find the best traders insurance policy for your needs. Within just 30-minutes, you could have motor traders insurance set up and ready to go!

We're Trusted & Loved By Our Motor Trade Customers!


Some of the industries One Sure Insurance covers: Valeters, Mechanics, Garages, Tyre Fitters, Mobile Mechanics, Car Servicing, MOT stations, Collection & Delivery, Breakdown Recovery, Car Washes, Windscreen Fitters, Dent Repairs, Panel Beaters, Body Repairs.

Some of the insurance underwriters we have access to include Policy Plan, Tradewise and Tradex.

* Price of £45.37 per month is based on an average Motor Trade policy that we source, which has an annual premium of £467.50 per year. When spread over 9 monthly instalments, the price payable is a deposit of £116.88, followed by 9 monthly instalments of £45.37 - bringing the total policy price to £525.21. Not all customers will receive a premium of £467.50 per year, as this is based on your unique circumstances. Factors such as postcode, no claims bonus, years of trading experience and others will affect the total insurance premium. Please note that our finance partner charges interest to spread your payments over instalments, and this will cause you to pay more for your policy overall.