Motor Trade Insurance
Learn about how to get the cheapest motor trade insurance quote, which includes the ever so popular car jockey insurance.
Get A Motor Trade Insurance Quote Today
Motor Trade Insurance, also known as Traders Insurance is a necessity for anybody who deals with vehicles as part of business operations. Whether you're buying and selling vehicles, carrying out repairs and servicing, valeting or offering a roadside breakdown cover service, you will find that we have the right motor traders policy for your needs. Not to mention, you'll also need a motor trade insurance policy to keep yourself road legal. It all starts with getting an insurance quote - but we're happy to run you through it.
We typically offer two types of Insurance policies- either a road risks policy, or a combined policy.
A Road Risk’s policy will cover you to drive vehicles on the road, as well as giving you protection from theft, fire and accidental damage; whether that's transporting vehicles to and from your home, or even taking customers out for a test drive. Road Risks policies are typically bought by traders who conduct business from their own home. With a Combined Premises trader’s policy, we will insure your business premises, all of the stock you own, and include Road Risks cover.
- Road Risks - A Road Risks policy will give you cover while trading from home. You'll be insured to drive vehicles on the road, and can choose from either a third-party or comprehensive insurance policy. A comprehensive Road Risks policy will give you protection from Theft, Fire, Vandalism and Accidental Damage to vehicles stored at your home address.
- Combined Premises - Combined cover is needed if you operate your business from business premises. If you have a forecourt or a garage that is separate from your home address, then you will need a combined traders insurance policy.
Are You A Genuine Motor Trader?
Before contacting us to get a quote, it's imperative that you determine whether you're suitable for trade insurance. Many people attempt to take out an insurance policy, only to find out that they do not qualify for one. To be eligible, you need to be considered a genuine motor trader who has a financial investment in the motor trade industry. It does not matter whether you operate on a full-time or part-time basis, as long as you can actively prove that you work in the motor trade industry.
You should be able to prove your connection to the Motor Trade often through receipts. As a trader, you should keep receipts for all vehicles you buy and sell, as well as any vehicles that you repair, valet or transport.
Many of our underwriters require proof of trading as a precursor to incepting a Motor Trade policy. Our clients usually have a period of between 14 and 28 days to provide evidence of trading - and this is typically in the form of receipts of buying and selling vehicles, or receipts that form part of your business - such as valeting clients vehicles, or providing car servicing and repairs.
What You Need To Know
- Combined Premises Cover - If you operate from business premises, you will need to let us know that you may need combined premises cover. With a Road Risks policy, we will not cover any vehicles which are lost, stolen or damaged while being kept at business premises. Road Risks cover only offers you protection for vehicles that have been stored at your home address.
- Vehicle Value Payouts - Most insurance underwriters will only pay out the trade value of the vehicle, rather than the resale value. As such, you may find that there is a shortfall of cash you receive for any claims.
- Additional Occupations - This clause typically affects part-time traders who may have full-time jobs with an employer. We can offer added extras and include other terms to give you cover for a second occupation - but you must inform us that this is the case. Some of our underwriters will not cover commuting to and from an additional place of work, so you must make this clear to us before inception to ensure that you are correctly covered. Failure to disclose materials facts could deem your insurance invalid.
- Additional Drivers - We can cover additional drivers on your policy, but this will usually increase the overall premium. It is particularly expensive to add under 25's to a traders policy, and many of our underwriters will not allow an under 25 to be on the policy - meaning we can typically only place you with a few, select insurers if you need to insure an under 25 on your motor traders insurance policy.
Whether you're a full-time or part-time trader, or whether you trade from home or business premises, we can access dozens of underwriters such as Liverpool Victoria, Tradewise, Covea, Tradex and much more to find you the best motor trading insurance policy for you. Whether you're in the Valeting business, Car Sales business, Breakdown Recovery business or a part-time car salesman, we can keep you covered with either a third-party, third-party fire & theft or comprehensive trader’s insurance policy.
Plus, you'll get access to all of our added benefits - such as updating the MID record for free and having an unlimited amount of vehicles on your insurance policy. In most cases, you'll also be able to add your spouse to the policy, as well as any employees and immediate family. Those are just some of the perks of One Sure Insurance!
Cutting the costs of your Insurance Policy
Without a doubt, the best way to save money on your quote is to shop around to find the cheapest insurance policy for you. If you take out a policy and don't shop around on your renewal date, you may find that you end up paying over the odds.
We've put together a short selection of key points to consider to help you reduce your insurance premiums:
- Consult with our sales agents to ensure that you're only paying for cover that you need - and don't have any unnecessary add-ons on your insurance quote.
- Many motor trade insurance underwriters will charge extra for high-performance, classic and HGV clauses; so don't include these if you won't be dealing with them.
- Reduce the number of motors that you'll keep on the MID at any one time - as this could lower your premiums quite drastically.
- Consider the highest possible insurance voluntary excess.
- Consider improving your storage and security measures - such as garaging your stock.
- Consider only employing drivers with clean records - those without any criminal or driving convictions, and those who are aged 25 or over.
- Choose to pay your premium in one lump sum - as interest will be charged when spread over monthly installments.
- Avoid buying or dealing with modified vehicles as these are higher risk vehicles.
- Build up Motor Trade no claims bonus, and maintain it by not claiming.
We're Here To Help You Get Up And Running
We have published numerous documents that give you a deeper insight into the Motor Trade industry. We regularly publish guides and articles on helping you to understand what it's like to be a Motor Trader, as well as how to reduce your motor trade insurance premiums each year.
- The MID Explained - We go in-depth to explain how the MID works, and why you should regularly update which vehicles are showing on the MID.
- Updating the MID Database - This article describes how you can update the MID record. If you have a trader’s insurance policy with us, you'll be able to use our text service, online service or phone service.
Frequently Asked Questions
About One Sure Insurance
One Sure Insurance is one of the largest Motor Trade Insurance brokers in the UK. We've been providing motor trade insurance policies for over a decade, and in that time we have insured nearly 30,000 customers. We are proud of the level of service we offer to our clients. As a specialist motor trade insurance broker, we have access to underwriters that other brokers may not have relationships with. When you call and get a quote from us, we can often secure discounts and give preferential rates to our clients.
As a specialist motor trade broker, we can put together a policy tailored to the individual needs and requirements of your business. Whether you're after a basic road risks policy or a combined premises policy with employers and public liability, you can rest assured that One Sure Insurance has the expertise and competency to keep you protected. We're on hand 6-days a week to offer advice and guidance, and find the best traders insurance policy for your needs. Within just 30-minutes, you could have motor traders insurance set up and ready to go!
We're Trusted & Loved By Our Motor Trade Customers!
Some of the industries One Sure Insurance covers: Valeters, Mechanics, Garages, Tyre Fitters, Mobile Mechanics, Car Servicing, MOT stations, Collection & Delivery, Breakdown Recovery, Car Washes, Windscreen Fitters, Dent Repairs, Panel Beaters, Body Repairs.
Some of the insurance underwriters we have access to include Policy Plan, Tradewise and Tradex.
* Price of £45.37 per month is based on an average Motor Trade policy that we source, which has an annual premium of £467.50 per year. When spread over 9 monthly instalments, the price payable is a deposit of £116.88, followed by 9 monthly instalments of £45.37 - bringing the total policy price to £525.21. Not all customers will receive a premium of £467.50 per year, as this is based on your unique circumstances. Factors such as postcode, no claims bonus, years of trading experience and others will affect the total insurance premium. Please note that our finance partner charges interest to spread your payments over instalments, and this will cause you to pay more for your policy overall.